Listening – Deeper Look
When you are writing music to license, you are writing music that has to be unique, but compete with what is out there and working.
The best way to do this is to start a listening habit. Start noticing the music being played in movies, ads, TV and cable shows. Be warned that you after you start doing this, it may be hard to enjoy your shows in the same you did when the music just washed over you.
- Step 1 – Discover the overall mood and sound
- Step 2 – Identify the style
- Step 3 – Plot out the structure
- Step 4 – Identify and sing the melody
- Step 5 – Tap out the rhythm
- Step 6 – Identify the harmanonies
- Step 7 – Listen to Production
- Step 8 – Make a template
That’s all for now.
P.S. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.